For all you dog lovers out there, there are times when you want to take your four-legged companions to the beach. But where to go on Oahu? Well, there is a long list of choices and I will share those with you as determined by the Hawaiian Humane Society.
Our little dog Alika at Waikiki Beach
First things first, let’s talk about and make a list of necessities for the beach:
- Leash – required when on the sand at the beach
- Water Bowl – to keep your dog hydrated; do not let them drink the ocean water as it will cause them to get sick
- Sunscreen – dogs get sunburn on their ears and nose like we do
- Beach Umbrella – best to give them a place they can rest in the shade
- Toys – to play in the water and on the sand
- Snacks – because Fido gets hungry too
Now that you are ready for the beach, here are some safety guidelines:
- Grab your beach umbrella or set up by a shady tree
- Check the water conditions, like strong riptides, large surf, or jellyfish
- Keep an eye out for hazardous objects: lava rocks, fish hooks, broken glass, dead fish, etc.
- Be sure to keep your dog on a leash so they do not disturb others
Now that we have covered the essentials, it’s time to have fun, so go grab that frisbee or tennis ball. Remember that you are responsible for your dog at all times and should be respectful of the environment and other beachgoers. Check out this list of all of Oahu’s dog-friendly beaches.
For more information about pet-friendly beaches, or if you are interested in Oahu real estate opportunities, please contact me.