Ready to give up the city life for ample outdoor space? On 2.5 acres of ocean and mountain views, this plantation style home in prestigious Kilauea Farms is the escape you’ve been looking for on Kauai’s North Shore.
Spanning nearly 4,000 SF of Travertine stone floors, this 3 bedroom 3.5 bath spacious estate embodies sprawling entertaining spaces that flow outside to the multiple vantage points viewed from your 1,800 SF covered wraparound lanai. The grand entryway draws you into a voluminous layout with high vaulted ceilings and windows of walls to allow ample of natural light, trade winds, and ocean sounds to gracefully flow through this luxury home
Zoned Ag and sitting on 2.5-acres of flat, usable land, this property offers a myriad amount of ways to be utilized. Many people ask what can you do with Ag land; depending on if you live in a house that’s part of a homeowners’ association, you’ll be subject to the rules in the Declaration of Covenants, Conditions & Restrictions (CC&Rs). Please check your current or prospective CC&Rs for possible utilization first.
Here are a few options to consider when purchasing a home on Ag land.
Plant a Garden – Go back to your roots and build your own organic vegetable garden.
- You can start small with herbs, flowers, and greens. Eventually, work your way up to creating rows of beets, carrots, onions, ginger, turmeric, and so much more! Be sure to water every day or install irrigation to let your plants grow strong and healthy. A major plus of growing your own garden is there is no right or wrong way to do it as the grow season is essentially all year long!
- If you grow enough to share, you can sell at the local Farmer’s Markets (nearest one is in Kilauea at the Na Aina Hou), and/or build a cute farm stand on the road!
Animal Husbandry – Depending on your interests, you could pasture the land for horses, goats, or lambs to help keep the grass mowed all the while enjoying the animals’ company!
- There are many horse trails around the island to keep your steeds exercised.
- Build a chicken coop and select some nice egg-laying hens to start your small collection. As egg prices increase ($8 a carton these days), a chicken coop looks more and more enticing!
- Maybe you’re interested in having goats for their milk? Located in Kilauea is the Kauai Kunana Diary Farm, where you can purchase kids or adult goats — we bought two kids from them and they’re wonderful!
Lease the Land – If farming/gardening isn’t an option, consider leasing the land to local farmers.
- Along with tax savings, the land will be utilized at its fullest potential as its primary intention. Local farmers could lease the land for cultivation of crops, horse pasturing, or many other ideas at determined amount.
- Talk with local farmers at the various markets around the island for leads, or
- Insider tip: Talk to the Kilauea Farms neighbor, Kauai Organic Farms, and see if they’re interested in leasing the land!
Build a Farm Dwelling – A farm dwelling is a single-family dwelling located on and used in connection with a farm where agricultural activity provides income to the family occupying the dwelling.
- Landowners are allowed to develop farm dwellings for their immediate family members and their employees.
- Plans for dwellings/houses must be supported by agricultural activities plans approved by the Hawai‘i Department of Agriculture. Plans are submitted to county planning and permitting departments who would route plans for review to the Department of Agriculture.
Ag Dedication Program – The program was designed to encourage commercial agricultural activities on ag land for a long term basis by offering lower property taxes up to 70%.
- “Commercial agricultural use” means that the land is being used on a continuous and regular basis for agricultural activities with the purpose of generating income, monetary gain, or economic benefit in the form of money. Uses include, but are not limited to, cultivating of trees; raising, harvesting, and selling crops; feeding, breeding, managing, and selling of livestock, poultry, or honey bees, or any products thereof
- Be eligible for Agricultural Water Rates (up to 50% reduction)
- Bring in profits from your fruit tree orchards, tropical flowers, crops, or ranching with beautifying your landscape while increasing the property value
- Create a food forest to feed your family and friends
- Qualifies owner to receive farm mortgage write-off from the IRS
- Learn more from Kauai County’s Article 9. Valuation of Dedicated Lands
- The property must meet all the current qualifications of the Kauai County Property Assessment. Apply for the Petition to Dedicate Land for Agricultural Use by July 1 each year.
- Insider tip: Bees are a great way to meet your Ag dedication. Each hive is worth one-acre of land.
The pristine Pila’a Beach is only a few hundred meters straight from your doorstep to enjoy sunrises, snorkeling, swimming, surfing, or lounging!
Check out the property’s full lifestyle video, virtual tour, and more right HERE. For information on additional Kauai real estate opportunities, please contact Christian Weis, R(S), (808) 855-5536 or ChristianWeis@HawaiiLife.com