Why the Wahikuli Neighborhood is a Good Choice
These days there is such a small inventory of single-family homes on the market in West Maui. And although you never know where you will find a new listing pop up, one of the neighborhoods to watch is Wahikuli.
1. Location, Location, Location
Wahikuli is situated just north of Lahaina town and south of Kaanapali. Wahikuli Wayside Park lines the coastal stretch of the area. And the residential neighborhood lies just across the highway. This neighborhood consists of three subdivisions (in order from north to south):
- Hawaiian Homes (reserved for people of 50% native Hawaiian ancestry),
- Wahikuli Houselots
- Wahikuli Terrace
There are no condos or hotels in the direct area, and as a result, there truly is a neighborhood vibe here.
2. Lot Sizes
- The Wahikuli Houselots subdivision consists of 234 parcels with lot sizes averaging around 10,000 sq ft (which is quite large in comparison to newer tract housing) but can be larger than 30,000 sq ft.
- The Wahikuli Terrace consists of 195 parcels with lot sizes averaging between 6,000-7,000 sq ft.
According to Maui County Code, one accessory dwelling (otherwise known as an “ohana”) up to 500 sq ft is allowable on lots under 7,500 sq ft. Two accessory dwellings are allowable on lots over 7,500 sq ft (max size of ohanas range from 600-1200 sq ft depending on size of lot). Therefore, you will be sure to see ohanas on properties throughout the neighborhood. For more information relating to accessory dwellings, see Ordinance 4936.
3. Neighborhood Highlights
- Located within a 5-10 minute drive to grocery stores, dining, shopping, and local schools
- Directly across the highway from the Wayside Park, which has a great sandy beach for sunbathing/swimming and an easily accessible coastal running/walking trail
- Many of the lots have ocean and/or mountain views
- There are no HOA fees
- There are two family/dog-friendly parks
4. Neighborhood market data for the past year (Feb 2020-Feb 2021)
Want to Know More?
Please contact me to learn more about the area or if you are interested in listing your home.