Tips for Finding Your Perfect Real Estate Agent in Hawaii

The title is a bit of a loaded question with a few different ways to look at the answer. Generally speaking, the best agent to work with is an agent you know, trust, and feel will do the best job possible on your behalf.

Understanding the Market Dynamics

As a board of directors for the HiCentral MLS, I see the active list of subscribers to the MLS, multiple listing services. Currently, the membership fluctuates around 7200 and 7300 members in general. That means there are over 7,000 active licenses on the Hicentral MLS. That is a large amount of licenses working in a relatively small market.

Recognizing the 90-10 Rule

When someone looks for an agent, it is common to know someone who is licensed in Hawaii. Like most markets, there is a 90-10 rule for Hawaii. This means that 10% of the licensed agents do most of the deal, and the other 90% not so much.r

Some agents are part-time or get a license to do one or two deals a year. Generally speaking, you want an agent who practices full-time. If your agent has a full-time job outside of real estate, are they really watching the market?

Due Diligence as a Client

It is essential to do some due diligence as a client and really do a deep dive into who you want to hire and work with. Buying or selling a home is generally one of the most significant assets and decisions you will make in your life. A quick decision on agency can lead to an unpleasant outcome.

Understanding Licensing and Expertise Levels

In Hawaii, there are also different classes of licenses and titles. For example, after being a full-time real estate agent, or what is commonly known as a Realtor Associate, you can elevate your career and knowledge by testing and becoming a Broker.

Importance of Brokerage and Support

Knowing how long your agent has been licensed in the state is essential. Hawaii has a lot of specific rules, regulations, and homeownership that are unique to the islands. You should ask the agent how many homes they have helped someone buy or sell.

Brokerage Considerations

The next thing a buyer or seller should want to know is about the agent’s brokerage. You might want to ask if the brokerage is completely cloud-based or do you have brick and mortar locations. How will the brokerage help support the client?

Maximizing Marketing Efforts

If you are hiring a brokerage and agent to help sell your home, finding out how that will happen is imperative. You want a brokerage to use everything possible to get the most eyes on your asset.

Personal Connection and Fit

Of course, hiring someone you connect with and feel has your best interests at heart is important. You will likely come across someone licensed in your day-to-day activities.

Of course, if it is a good fit, I would love to be that person for you. Helping buyers and sellers in Hawaii is my full-time job. If you want to know more about me or simply to ask some questions, I am more than happy to help. Please feel free to call, text, or email me anytime.

Comments (0) Show CommentsHide Comments (Remember)

Cool. Add your comment...

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Leave your opinion here. Please be nice. Your Email address will be kept private, this form is secure and we never spam you.

More Articles from Hawaii Life