The rental revenues at the Honua Kai Resort and Spa in Ka’anapali present some of the strongest cash on cash returns of any condo-tel property in all of Maui – and perhaps in the entire state of Hawaii.
At current operating costs and present/historical rental income figures, many of the units on the lower end of the price spectrum at Honua Kai (i.e. $1.5M or below) will start to break even and present positive returns with as little as 30% down payment on a conventional mortgage. Please keep in mind that there are many factors that come into play here.
A recent shot of Honua Kai (teal roofs in the middle of the photo) taken on one of my grueling yet very rewarding mountain bike rides up the West Maui Mountains
Categories for Rental Properties at Honua Kai
Each of the below sub-categories at Honua Kai have different historical occupancy rates and gross income figures. Please ask me about what units generally rent the best and I am happy to share detailed information on how each of these categories have performed from a historical gross income and occupancy standpoint.
- Studio Units – Partial ocean view and full ocean view properties. Currently, there are just a couple partial ocean view and true ocean view studio units on the market.
- One Bedroom Units – Mountain view, resort view, partial ocean view, and ocean view units. There are only resale one bedroom units currently on the market, the developer has completely sold out of these. There are a number of one bedroom plus den units being offered by the developer. Here is a post that I previously wrote on these units. Link to one bedroom plus den units for sale.
- Two Bedroom Units – Mountain view, partial ocean view, ocean view units. There is a good variety of both developer and resale inventory in these various categories actively for sale.
- Three Bedroom Units – Ocean view and oceanfront units. There are only a few select 3 bedroom oceanfront properties for sale in the resale market as well as the developer inventory
The living room of Konea #550 – an oceanfront three bedroom unit priced at $3,699,900. For details on this property, and all resale units and some of the developer units, please visit my Honua Kai Real Estate Gallery.
Factors Affecting Gross and Net Rental Income
- Property Management Fees – It’s your choice! There are both on site and off site property management companies at Honua Kai for you to chose from. These various companies offer a wide range of services and have different fee schedules. When making this decision it is important to ask oneself how involved you want to be in this process as taking it on in its entirety requires substantial time and effort. The going rate for property management at Honua Kai is 20-44% of gross rental revenue depending on the property management company. These percentages can also be dependent on which type of unit you own.
- Marketing Exposure – Not all property management companies are created equal. If your intention is to rent out your unit as much as possible, it is important to select a company that has excellent web exposure as the vast majority of renters book online. If your intention is to have the unit available for your personal and familial use with less advance notice, you may want to consider a different type of company.
- Excellent Service – Working with a property management company that truly understands your goals and objectives will augment a tailoring of services that will keep you happy as an owner and encourage strong reviews of your unit thus generating repeat guests.
Financing Options at Honua Kai
Honua Kai is the only property that I know of that is classified as a Condo-tel and can be financed with as little as a 25% down payment for well qualified borrowers. Read a little more about this in a previous post of mine, I am happy to share all the sources of active financing at Honua Kai upon request: 25% Down Payment Financing Options at Honua Kai.
A portion of the increase in the recent 10% increase in HOA fees was for the replacement of outdoor pool furniture seen in the above photo and is present throughout the outstanding pools at Honua Kai.
Fixed Cost Considerations
I am in the process of writing my next blog about costs of ownership at Honua Kai, but in the meantime it is important to consider these costs when making your financial projections. HOA fees are a function of interior square footage at $1.33/sq.ft. One must consider acquisition cost of the unit which are on the rise (I detail this in my latest monthly market update: Honua Kai Real Estate Market Update May 2013), property management fees, property taxes, utility costs, terms of your proposed mortgage, and property rental income (there can be vast differences in company to company).
Three Important Criteria for Selecting the Right Honua Kai Unit
When counseling my Honua Kai buyer clients I always encourage them to think about the different aspects of ownership and prioritize the below three criterion based on their own personal needs.
- Short Term Cash Flow vs. Acquisition and Operating Costs – Generally speaking, the smaller units are going to “pencil out” better than the larger units, but there are still many details that must be evaluated when creating these scenarios.
- Lifestyle and Personal Enjoyment – Studio units represent some of the very best cash on cash returns due to their lower acquisition and monthly carrying costs. It is important to ask yourself if you are going to be happy staying in a studio unit for a couple months out of the year. Is a one bedroom versus a two bedroom going to be large enough for you and a few family members? Maybe you want to think about a one bedroom plus den unit. These are just some of the scenarios that I help my clients prepare themselves for.
- Resale Value – We have seen some substantial price appreciation at the lower end at Honua Kai and I think we will see this trend continue. There are a number of two bedroom and three bedroom units that are currently under contract or that have closed recently for less than their initial purchase price. I detail these market trends most recently in my latest monthly market update: Honua Kai Real Estate Market Update May 2013.
Exclusive Buyer’s Agent Services
- I do not work for the developer at Honua Kai, but I have a very strong relationship with them and have helped numerous very satisfied buyer clients with purchasing developer units.
- The sales team at Honua Kai does an excellent job, but they cannot represent your buyer interests from an agency standpoint. I feel that I can offer a different perspective and skill set because of the fact that I represent buyers and sellers all across the island of Maui, I have a broader perspective of overall market trends, and I provide excellent communication and services for my buyer clients, many of whom complete the majority of the purchasing process while not even physically being on island.
- I am going to help educate and secure you the best property for you whether it is a resale or developer unit; I do also have insight on properties that are not on the market or advance notice on properties before they are entered in the MLS.
- Canadian Couple From Vancouver B.C. Purchases a 3 Bedroom Honua Kai Unit for $1,900,000
- A couple from Great Falls Montana purchases a one bedroom partial ocean view unit for $500,000
- One Bedroom/One Bath Mountain View Unit at Honua Kai Sold for $525,000
Buyer Success Stories
I’d like to share a couple success stories from a few of my buyer clients who shared some first hand insight about my efforts in representing them on a couple developer units.
Selling at Honua Kai?
- Limited Inventory (Supply) + Increased Demand (Domestic & International) = Prices are Increasing!
- Web exposure is everything, according to the National Association of Realtors, 93% of buyers start their search online first.
- HawaiiLife.com is known around the globe, and is by far Hawaii’s #1 Most Trafficked Real Estate Search Engine with roughly 265,000 web visitors and potential buyers each month. Just Google “Hawaii Real Estate” to see for yourself.
- With over 15 million people watching our hit TV series “Hawaii Life” on HGTV, our exclusive listings are getting more Domestic and International Exposure than ever.
- 24/7 Client Service with 2 full time Brokers + Over 40 years of combined Maui real estate experience = the knowledge and negotiation savvy to get you top dollar for your property.
Aloha from Maui,Jeremy Stice REALTOR (Broker) 808.281.2178 Stice@HawaiiLife.com
My Blog Series on Honua Kai Condos
- Honua Kai Resort in Kaanapali, Maui – Start here, as this blog will provide you with a good overview of the resort including video on its location, and its world class amenities and ownership offerings.
- Honua Kai Resort Real Estate For Sale – Kaanapali, Maui Condos For Sale – This post focuses on the inventory actively for sale and where all the units are located.
- New Ocean view one bedroom resale unit just listed – check out this post on my one bedroom best buy in all of Honua Kai.
- Honua Kai May 2013 Market Update Report – Read about the new developer price reductions and all the recent market activity down at the resort.
- 50 New Price Reductions on Two and Three Bedroom Units at Honua Kai – New developer price reductions announced on April 18, 2103.
- Honua Kai March 2013 Market Update Report – There has been a significant increase in the level of sales for two bedroom units at the resort. Read all about it here.
- One Bedroom/One Bath Mountain View Unit at Honua Kai Sold for $525,000 – Congratulations to the Kojima Ohana on their recent resale purchase at Honua Kai.
- 5 Remaining One Bedroom Plus Den Units for Sale at Honua Kai – They are sold out of developer one bedroom units but check out this video blog for this niche units starting in the high $700k range.
- Honua Kai 2 Bedroom/2 Bath Condo Sold a Seller’s Perspective – What our seller client had to say about our team selling their property for a $135,000 short term gain.
- 2 Bedroom Ocean View Best Buys at the Honua Kai Resort and Spa – Feb ’13 post on the best ocean view and partial ocean view two bedroom units.
- 4 New One Bedroom Listings at Honua Kai – Posted on January 2013 be sure to check out these best buys priced under $550K
- Honua Kai January 2013 Market Update – What’s happening in the new year at Honua Kai? Are prices increasing?
- Honua Kai HOA Fees Increasing By 10% Effective Feb. 1, 2013 – What are the current fees, what do they cover, and what other costs of ownership are involved?
- 25% Down Payment Financing Options at Honua Kai – Get the inside track on leveraging your cash investments at Honua Kai.
- Canadian Couple From Vancouver B.C. Purchases a 3 Bedroom Honua Kai Unit for $1,900,000 – Did you know that many of the owners at Honua Kai are from Canada?
- Honua Kai November 2012 Market Update – The latest news after a crazy year of selling
- Honua Kai January 2012 Update – Why Honua Kai is the hottest deal in town right now
- Honua Kai Purchase Process – An owner’s perspective of purchasing and experiencing the resort.
- 35% Price Reductions on Condos For Sale at Honua Kai Resort – Read about how the developer dramatically slashed the prices at Honua Kai and where some of the best deals are at.
- Price Reductions on Honua Kai Resort One Bedroom Units – Video blog on 1-bedroom units that are Screaming Deals.
- Honua Kai Resort in Kaanapali – Best Two Bedroom Deals – Video blog on 2-bedroom units that are Screaming Deals.
More Articles from Hawaii Life
Just Listed, Now in Escrow! Wainani Estates Residence
New to the market and now in escrow is Wainani Estates Residence, an elegant 3 bedroom and 2-bathroom property situated …
New to the Market! Hokulia Phase I, Lot 123
Take a drive into the supreme Hokuli’a community and you will find Hokuli’a Phase 1, Lot 123. This new listing …
Village Maluhia Condos in Honolulu
Are you looking for a condo in a convenient location? Do you want a secure building with great amenities at …
Welcome to Wailea Kai
Wailea Kai is the first of the gated residential communities in Wailea that you will see after crossing the Kihei/Wailea …