Hawaii Military PCS Moves – Shipping Your Unaccompanied Bags (UAB)

Most military members understand that once you get PCS orders the government will pay for your household goods (HHG) to be moved, but what about the stuff you need now?

What will you need before your HHG arrive?

Depending on your station change, a move specifically to or from Hawaii can take many weeks for your household goods to reach the intended location. Most do not have the luxury to wait weeks for items such as computers, towels, coffee makers, and just the basics to create a livable home while you wait for your military-moved items.

What Can You Ship?

In many cases, you are authorized to ship up to 2,000 pounds, but there may be lower limits in some cases, such as overseas moves.

You are able to ship items with businesses such as The UPS Store, who can pack and ship either UPS or USPS so that your unaccompanied baggage arrives ahead of your move. This generally includes clothing, electronics, and essentials needed prior to the HHG arrival.

You must keep all your receipts with the potential out-of-pocket expenses and submit for reimbursement. At times, the expense and weights for your UAB may vary based on rank, number of dependents, and regulations.

It’s always best to clear this with transportation in advance to stay well informed. This is usually a stressful time, so it is nice to have some of your personal items in the new location immediately to help make the transition more comfortable.

More Information

If you need some tips on packing and shipping your HHG, please contact me. I am more than happy to help.

Comments (0) Show CommentsHide Comments (Remember)

Cool. Add your comment...

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Leave your opinion here. Please be nice. Your Email address will be kept private, this form is secure and we never spam you.

More Articles from Hawaii Life