Building a new home on Oahu can be the best way to go if you can find the right piece of land and are hooked up with the right licensed professionals for the job.
Steel-framed construction on new Oahu home
Who you’ll need:
- A licensed Realtor: Must have local knowledge of the land, including inventory, market value (comps), climate, orientation, view, privacy, and lifestyle
- A licensed builder: Pick one with excellent local references who can assure quality work
- An architect / Drafting service provider: Usually the builder can recommend someone with whom s/he has a good working relationship, and one who can interpret your design criteria
- Vendors: You will need vendors to specify which materials you want throughout your home – inside and out. This is a big job! Oahu, thankfully, has unlimited sources for building material selections
- A landscaping contractor: Choose a contractor who can help put up rock walls and fencing, and install irrigation, gardens, and water features of your choosing
- A pool and spa contractor: If you’d like to have a pool!
There’s nothing like new construction…
On Oahu, several licensed contractors are currently quoting approximately $250.00 per square foot for a single-story, fairly level lot, with high-end finishes throughout. For example, if your house is 3,000 square feet, you’d pay$250 x 3,000, for a total of $750K. This doesn’t account, however, for the cost of landscaping, installing a pool, and architect fees (if applicable).
Plans and permits- On Oahu, approximately three to four months (excluding oceanfront). Could be longer if the customer changes the design during the preliminary design stages.
Construction- The average size home can be completed once the permit is pulled in approximately 9 to 12 months, including landscaping and building a pool.
High end quality resort finishes: Contractor buildout of approximately $250/square foot
Contact me for more detailed information on building on Oahu, and to inquire about the prices on some of the choice lots or acreages available.