Before Kalihiwai Ridge was a sought after estate home development, it was a land rich in agriculture and farming. Dating back to the mid 1800’s, when King Kamehameha IV held ownership of the land, the area was used for cattle ranching. Due to an ongoing drought, the land was dry and difficult to farm. Charles Ticomb experienced this first hand after his purchase of 3,000 acres, which failed to produce silkworms from his mulberry orchards. After his death, the property was sold to John Ross and EP Adams, who having the foresight that water retention was needed, built the Stone Dam in 1880. This was the same year that the Kilauea Sugar Plantation was founded, the property now 4,500 acres.
The land again changed hands, this time to C. Brewer and Company, who at the time was referred to as part of the ‘big five,’ a handful of companies that controlled Hawaii’s economy. They too recognized that the rain was not as dependable between June and November, and so in 1920, the Kalihiwai Reservoir was built from the Rock Quarry stone.
Besides supplying water to the Kilauea Sugar Plantation until 1971, and then Guava Kai until 2006, the reservoir water was used to replenish and beautify the 33 prawn ponds (now with a variety of fish) on the land owned by Kauai Fresh Farms. Kalihiwai Reservoir is also home to three of the five endemic endangered Hawaiian waterbirds, the Nene, the Moorhen, and the Coot, and is listed as a wetland habitat by the USFWS.
While only a limited number of homes front the reservoir’s shorelines, the entire residential community of Kalihiwai Ridge is welcome to enjoy its splendor. Life on the lake is a rare opportunity here on Kauai’s north shore. 6180 Kahiliholo Road is one such example. This Bali inspired 3-acre estate sits lakefront and is a stunning display of custom craftsmanship that encompasses nearly 3,000 sqft. of interior space and 2,000 sqft. of outdoor living.
If you would like more information about this property, please contact me, firstname.lastname@example.org or 808.212.6658.