What Are All Those Letters After a Real Estate Agent’s Name?

R, RA, RB, RS, huh!??

Most people outside of the real estate industry are unaware of what all those letters after an agent’s name mean. Heck, even many insiders don’t know about all the credentials available since just a small percentage of real estate salespeople attain them.

Much like other regulated professions, there is a slew of training above and beyond Hawaii’s real-estate licensing requirements that offer varying degrees of enhanced knowledge or specialization. In the end… what’s most likely relevant to you isn’t which exact certifications have been earned, but the fact that the person you entrust with your largest asset be on top of current trends and industry information. These people are committed to learning all they can to best serve their clients.

First and foremost: R , RA, RB, and RS (licensed agents to practice real estate)

R & RA: REALTOR and REALTOR-associate respectively. These are members of the National Association of REALTORS (NAR) and their local board. Must abide by a strict Code of Ethics and Standards of Practice. *Not all real estate agents are REALTORS—see below.

RB & RS: A real-estate broker or real-estate salesperson. Not affiliated with or regulated by the NAR.

See the NAR website with descriptions of the more common designations and certifications. There are various other associations that offer credentials, but these are the ones that are officially endorsed by the National Association of Realtors.

Real estate questions? Contact me.

Comments (0) Show CommentsHide Comments (Remember)

Cool. Add your comment...

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Leave your opinion here. Please be nice. Your Email address will be kept private, this form is secure and we never spam you.

More Articles from Hawaii Life