The Mauna Lani Resort is comprised of nine condominium complexes, eight residential projects, and two anchor hotels: the Mauna Lani Bay Hotel and the Fairmont Orchid Hotel. All owners of property within the resort are entitled to use the Mauna Lani Beach Club, which is an oceanfront white sand beach bar and grill with activity equipment for snorkeling, kayaks, paddle boards, etc.
Each individual complex has their own pet rules. The resort itself does not allow pets on the grounds, streets, etc. If your complex allows pets, the pets are confined to the complex itself. As for condominiums, please see below for a brief description of each complex (from low to high).
1. Palm Villas is a complex of two-story buildings built by Sunstone Builders and located next to the petroglyphs behind (mauka) the Mauna Lani Bay Hotel. This would be at the starting end of the range both in price and quality. The buildings are 8 units each with 4 of the condos either up a flight of stairs above another unit, or ground floor three bedroom units (on the ends) with someone above you, and are of town house in design.
More About Palm Villas Units
- They have single car garages
- They are conveniently located just minutes from the beach club (via trail through the historic Mauna Lani fish ponds) and the Shops at Mauna Lani
- The price range is $60,000-$280,000 depending on sq. ft. and location
The negative to this complex is that there is an ongoing lawsuit between the homeowner’s association and the builder/developer over defects. At this time, conventional financing is not obtainable on a Palm Villas unit.
2. Golf Villas is the sister complex to the Palm Villas, and while they do not yet have any pending litigation, it is primarily due to the fact that the HOA is trying valiantly to remedy the callbacks directly with the builder (Sunstone).
The floor plans are the same, but the location is closer to the beach club and at the south end of Kaniku Drive. While there are both 2 and 3 bedroom units, currently there are only three units available; all 3 bedroom and priced from $577,000-$699,000.
3. Fairways is composed of 24 six-plex buildings with single car garages arranged in a circle around the pool and amenity complex, and bordered on the perimeter by the golf course.
This complex is a nicely planned and built project by Stanford Carr Dev., a solid mid-range builder who has won a number of awards for design and workmanship. The homes are all town homes (meaning no one above or below you) with one or more bedrooms on the second floor.
There is a beautiful free form lagoon style pool and the workout hale is a bit small but efficient and conveniently located adjacent to the generous pool complex. The 2 and 3 bedroom condos in this development range from $448,000-$679,000 with 7 units currently available.
4. Kulalani is the sister to The Fairways (also Stanford Carr Dev.). There is the same six-plex configuration and a newly designed four-plex, which are larger units with two car garages.
This complex is bordered by the north golf course on two sides and gardens separating the complex from Ka Milo to its North. The complex is 1/2 completed and recently sold out with no firm plans to begin construction of the second half yet. There are currently three units available, all of which are 2 bedroom/2 bathroom ranging in price from $549,000-$650,000 depending on location and inclusions.
The rec center and pools in the Kulalani are shared with adjacent Ka Milo, but are quite spacious and luxurious. There is a very large workout hale with adult lap pool and spa in addition to the lagoon family pool, very large covered social/lounging hale, and outdoor commercial kitchen area. They boast the largest grounds for amenities in the resort actually—one of their biggest selling features.
5. Ka Milo (adjacent to Kulalani) shares the rec center and amenities, and are a compilation of paired homes and single family residences surrounded by the golf course and the gardens to the South. They have great mountain views of the Kohala mountains and Mauna Kea, Mauna Loa, and Hualalai and a few have “slivers” of ocean views.
The complex was built by Brookfield Hawaii, who is an upper-end builder and builds a nice project with lots of show in the finished product. The project has had a hard time getting off the ground, but is finally back on its way. The homes are generous in size, ranging from a garden paired 3 bedroom of 1,600+ sq. ft. condo to a very generous golf course fronting single family home, all with 2 car garages and prices at $799,000 to $1,395,000.
6. The Villages is a complex of paired (duplex) town homes with two car garages for each and single family residences on the perimeter of the complex facing (or backing) onto the golf course. This is a very well built project with top-of-the-line construction, finishes, and trim.
The units are quite spacious starting at 2,174 sq. ft. and each bedroom has its own attached bathroom. This project was built by Maryl Const. who is one of the island’s premiere builders. The complex is surrounded on two sides by the north golf course and The Shops at Mauna Lani to the South.
In my opinion, the amenity center is a bit lacking in size and style. Adequate is what comes to mind when describing it, although it is nicely built and maintained. Overall, the complex has beautiful high-end homes, a small pool, and a tidy workout center. Prices range from $729,000 for a bank owned paired home to $1,695,000 for a single family residence with a small pool on the golf course.
7. The Islands are the lowest density development in the Mauna Lani with over 22 acres of lush landscape for the 46 owners that share it. There is a pool, hot tub, kitchen, and community barbecues (in addition to your individual lanai barbecues), and it has the distinctive personality of feeling very tropical while European in style and feel. All of the homes come with a full-size two car garage and beautiful private courtyard entries.
The Islands are centrally located with the golf course and water features wrapping its lush gardens, and it’s an easy walk to the adjacent Mauna Lani Sports and Fitness Center/Spa, Tommy Bahamas, the Mauna Lani Beach Club, and the Mauna Lani Bay Hotel!
The buildings range in size generously from 2,100 sq. ft. for a two bedroom to 2,700+ sq. ft. for a three bedroom suite. Although the complex was built in 1987, having been built solid, they have held up very well. The finishes are comprised of whitewashed oak cabinets and floors, shuttered doors for privacy, and corianne counter tops with one or more bedrooms on the second floor.
Each unit has a two car garage and faces the golf course or gardens separating them from the tennis courts and spa. Prices currently range from $649,000 for a 2 bedroom to $1,395,000 for the larger 3 bedroom.
8. The Terraces is Mauna Lani’s only oceanfront condominium that actually has a beach directly in front of it. Located between the Mauna Lani Bay Hotel and the Private Beach Club with the historic fish ponds adjacent to it, it was considered to be the premiere location and complex in its reign, having also been built in the early 1980′s.
These buildings are 3-story, concrete block, apartment style, with neighbors either above or below you. They have luxury in the vast amount of solid woodwork (Koa) and location, however, they are dated and most owners are at the point of remodeling. The have a shared parking carport with small storage closets rather than a private garage.
They have held their values extremely well due to the location and quality. Prices are currently at $649,000 for a small one bedroom (on market for 1,023 days so far) to $3.295M for a beautifully remodeled three bedroom/three bathroom oceanfront home with the average price range being $1.5M-$1.7M.
9. The Point was built just 2 years after the Terraces in response to the overwhelming demand for oceanfront living in the Mauna Lani Resort; it is of similar style, design, and construction.
This complex is further to the South on a bluff and overlooks the golf course for their ocean views. The amenities are small, not nearly as lavish as the newer complexes, but they are walking distance to the Beach Club, and have wonderful ocean breezes and views of the Kohala mountains and Maui.
The 1-3 bedrooms currently range from $839,000 for a two bedroom golf course fronting second floor unit to $1.695M for an ocean view fully remodeled two bedroom.
If you have an interest in the Mauna Lani Resort condominium, residential, or lot sales, I am available to assist you!
Living and loving the resort life!