Year-round golfing makes Hawaii a golfer’s paradise, and Kauai has its share of great golf courses. The Puakea Golf Course is one of Kauai’s ten golf courses. Situated in the town of Lihue, it is approximately 5 minutes from the airport. Designed by Robin Nelson, Puakea officially opened as an 18 hole golf course in […]
With South Maui having grown into a world class destination, there are only a few opportunities for residential subdivision development that remain. One such property is 55 Auhana Road, Kihei (MLS# 352705).
This prime parcel of land consists of approximately 3.24 acres of R-2 (Residential) zoned land with a 1” County water meter. Preliminary subdivision approval has been granted by the County of Maui, as well as Special Management Area (SMA) approval. Architectural plans designed for a 12 lot subdivision are available.
As for development potential, this property is also eligible for a 4-lot family subdivision, where each parcel could be approximately ¾ of an acre and include a main home and an ohana.
Another option could be to develop a retirement housing project and, with the property’s location next to beaches, parks, dining, shopping, movie theater, and public transportation, this would be very attractive.
Exceptional Property Advantages
Speaking of location, the property is exceptional and offers distinct advantages. Here are just a few of them:
- Auhana Road is a short stroll to beautiful Kamaole Beach Park 1. The park, which we call “Kam I” for short, is a popular spot for family gatherings and get-togethers, which is why you’ll see plenty of barbecues, “bouncy castles,” and beach volleyball games on the weekends. I like Kam I because it’s (generally) not crowded and it’s safe for my kids to swim there. My wife likes the beach because it has soft white sand, along with washrooms and outdoor showers. We both agree that it’s a perfect spot to watch the sunset together.
- Cove Park is the most popular surf break in Kihei and is practically in your backyard. On any given day, you’ll find all levels of water enthusiasts surfing, stand up paddle boarding, body boarding, and diving. Cove Park is one of the first spots I surfed back in the 80’s and these days my wife, Sou, and I enjoy taking our kids there.
- Kalama Park is Kihei’s largest park and is just around the corner. A massive whale statue marks the park entrance. Just like the whale, the park is also massive. I think it’s a great place for families, and an even better place for sports lovers. There’s the standard athletic fields, baseball diamonds, basketball and tennis courts, but Kalama Park also has an inline skating rink and a skateboard park for anyone seeking an adrenaline rush. My kids love to watch the skaters in action, but not nearly as much as they love the swings at the playground.
- The Kihei Kalama Village Shopping Center is also a stone’s throw away and includes more than 40 shops and 14 restaurants to choose from. I’d recommend checking it out, especially after the sun goes down. Kalama Village is South Maui’s premier nightlife destination, so you’ll find dinner, drinks, dancing, live music, and entertainment — all within walking distance.
- It’s an ideal locale for families with school-age children, since the location is just a short distance to and from Kamali‘i Elementary School, Lokelani Intermediate School, and Kihei Charter Teams Middle School. There’s no public high school in South Maui — at least, not yet! However, there is a charter high school, Kïhei Charter High School, and if you have young children, your timing may be just right: The Hawai‘i Department of Education says construction of a brand new Kïhei High School should be completed by 2016.
- Everything I’ve listed above is just a stroll away. If you factor in a bicycle, moped, or car, luxurious Wailea Resort, home to the Four Seasons, the Grand Wailea, The Shops at Wailea, Wailea Golf Club, and host to the Maui Film Festival, is just a few minutes away.
If this property (photos and full listing details here) has piqued your interest, I am here to answer any questions you may have. Civil engineering and architectural plans are available along with a wealth of other information.
Josh Jerman, R(B)