Here are some questions to ask yourself so you will know how to spot a good house to put a little sweat equity into – and make it worth your while. Some major things to consider include location, the bones of the house, the floor plan, and ease of access.
- Does the home have special views? Ocean, mountain, river, or waterfall views will always insure added value long term.
- Does the property have good trade winds blowing across it?
- What type of micro climate is typical for the area? Lots of mountain rain means lots of red dirt and soggy grass…
- Was the home built to withstand island conditions?
- Is the house bolted at the foundation?
- Are the jacks bolted to the hips?
- Does it have extra sturdy beams?
- Are the lanais covered by a roof?
- Is there enough clearance for adequate ventilation?
- Are there large trees over the roof?
- Does the interior floor plan flow well?
- Are there high ceilings and wide hallways?
- Is there a lot of natural light?
- Are the rooms already spacious?
- How far do you need to drive to take care of your daily business and get to the beach?
Below is an excellent example of a home that’s worth putting a little time and money into. By finding a home that require a little work, you are usually able to score a good deal.
Kauai Custom Built Cosmetic Fixer Upper with Ocean Views
Ocean, mountain and Crater Hill views abound from this 1.25 acre property with a large home, workshop, and boat storage. At the end of a landscaped country road you will experience the peace and privacy that you desire. Concrete driveway with lava rock walls and palms create a wonderful feeling as you enter the property (MLS# 254043).
This house was custom built by a general and framing contractor
This island-style house was built by the owner who is a local contractor. The large wraparound lanai extends your living area for outside dining and lounging while you enjoy the breathtaking views.
There is a separate 1,200 sq.ft. workshop, a 176 sq.ft. office with DSL line, and a 525 sq.ft. studio with laundry facilities. The main house boasts 4 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms while the detached studio has 1 bath. There is also a solar water heater in both buildings. This home is listed for $935K.
This kitchen already has a good floor plan with lots of cabinet and counter space
Privately Located on Kauai’s North Shore
This property has a very rural and secluded feeling while being just 5 minutes to Kilauea Town for shopping and dining; it is another 2 minutes to the Kilauea Lighthouse and also near some of the best beaches on the island.
To find out more about what is available, or talk about selling a home you have here on the island call Kelly today at 808-639-7600.