Kauai’s Coco Palms Hotel Rumored to Have New Interested Developer

The “Coconut Wireless” is buzzing with news that perhaps the Coco Palms Resort has a new interested developer! Yes, there are rumors in the air that a new developer is looking at the possibility of rebuilding this resort! After almost 21 years of abandonment, wouldn’t this be great news for Kauai?! I think most of us are pretty tired of driving by what has become an “eyesore” and are looking forward to something good for this property.

Coco Palms After 21 Years of Abandonment

coco-palms-abandoned

The famous Coco Palms Resort has sat abandoned and self-destructing for over 21 years!

As many of us recall the wonderful times residents and visitors had at Coco Palms, it is hard not be be sadden when those good times now look like this.

coco-palms-abandoneddiningroom

Abandoned dining holds memories of evenings fulled with laughter and music

Rebuilding Our Coco Palms Resort

We’ve had our hopes up before, but right now all we can hope is that:

1. The rumors are true
  2. The developer is committed to razing and rebuilding the resort
  3. It will be fast-tracked, so that this site can become something of what it use to be

coco palms before iniki

Coco Palms before Hurricane Iniki from the archives of Coco Palms History

If the “coconut wireless” is accurate this time, then perhaps we may be watching the transformation of one of our most famous landmarks return to its former place on Kauai! Let’s hope these “dreams” come true, because we all know the song says, “dreams come true in Blue Hawaii!”

, , , , , ,

9 Responses to “Kauai’s Coco Palms Hotel Rumored to Have New Interested Developer”

1. Shaylyn Kimura, RS
    July 19, 2012 at 8:31 am #

This place holds so many fond memories for people the world over. While we would love to this local icon restored and re-opened, we hope that any developer would respect its cultural and historical significance and do it the right way! Many childhood days of mine were spent there as a child entertainer, guest and hostess to visiting family and friends. Fingers crossed…

• Dave and Jackie Johnson
      July 21, 2012 at 4:37 pm #

We stayed there for our honeymoon in 1976 and now own a timeshare in Kauai…it would be a blessing to see someone restore the dignity and Aloha spirit to this special piece of heaven. It hurts us deeply to see its current condition…maybe our dreams will come true!!

2. Lucy Adams, RS
    July 22, 2012 at 2:13 pm #

I love to hear from people that have shared the experiences that Coco Palms provided. We have been saddened for so many years that this “spirit of this special place” has been ignored. We sincerely hope this new developer is serious about restoring this resort to its rightful place on Kauai.

Let’s keep our eyes and hopes up. Thanks for your comments. Lucy

3. Kate
    July 27, 2012 at 3:13 pm #

I stayed there in 1978 and have always felt a special fondness for it. It is the only hotel where I took a picture of the sink because it was a large shell. I also have a photo of the lagoon filled with the pink blossoms of the lotus.

4. Karen Billig
    August 15, 2012 at 4:56 pm #

My husband and I, along with our 2 teenaged boys, stayed in Waipouli this summer and drove by the Coco Palms every day. I became intrigued, wanting to know the history behind the sad-looking dilapidated building. I read so many articles about it and looked at TONS of old photos, taken during its glory days. It made me SO sad to see the resort in that condition. Having just found your article about the possible restoration, I am BEYOND thrilled! It is too important of a piece of Hawaiian history to be left to rot! I will cross all my fingers, toes, arms, legs and everything else in the hopes that this is not just a fantasy! Thanks for the wonderful info!! Aloha!!

5. Denny Walthers
    August 26, 2012 at 7:25 am #

I took my wife here for our 25th anniversary. We stayed in one of the huts in the back. It was one of the most memorable times of our life together. If someone is willing to restore it I would love to return.

6. Kalei
    September 23, 2012 at 10:49 am #

I have fond memories of Coco Palms as my father used to be the Manager there in the 80′s. I remember learning to drive my first golf cart and I remember the dining area pictured above, only full of tables, chairs and people. I remember the life it had as it was still very popular for its use in Blue Hawai’i. I hope they bring life back to that area whether it be a new hotel or other popular attraction that heals the land and the economy for Kaua’i.
    Aloha!
    K.

• BARB SULLIVAN
      November 28, 2012 at 9:50 am #

I think I remember your father. Was he the tall man who stood beside Mrs. Gustlander at the entrance to the PoPo parties and helped her to remember the names of the guests as they came in. I remember him as a lovely and gracious man whose staff all loved him. He certainly made all of the guests feel welcome and spoiled. He epitomized the spirit of the Islands. The Coco Palms was a hotel like none other I have ever experienced and my husband and I will never forget it. If he is still alive, many thank yous to your father. Barb Sullivan, San Clemente, Ca

7. Annette Ohrenberger
    October 4, 2012 at 3:43 pm #

Let’s hope the coconut wireless is accurate. My husband and I went to Coco Palms for our honeymoon almost twenty five years ago. We were hoping we would be going back for our anniversary. The magic of this place touched us in such a special way. Does anybody remember the coconut pancakes? I had them every morning by the fish pond!