Big Island is Hawaii’s Most Affordable Island for Homes and Condos

The Hawaii Association of Realtors (HAR) just released a statewide recap of 2011 sales for all the Realtor boards around Hawaii. This analysis lists out average sales prices for homes and condos. The Big Island of Hawaii leads all the other islands with both the lowest priced homes at just $242,500 and condos at an average price of $225,900.

This home (MLS# 250786) listed at just $249,000 is an example of the great real estate values on the Big Island.

HAR 2011 Stats by Island

There really is a home for anyone and everyone here on the Big Island. You will find an incredible variety of homes on the Big Island ranging from sub $100,000 homes on an acre in the Puna and Kau districts up to multimillion dolllar oceanfront estates in Kukio on the west coast. There is the same type of variety found in condos, although the vast majority of condos are found on the west side of the island in either Kona, Waikoloa or the resorts.

Oh, and the Big Island also has the most extreme scenery found in Hawaii, with the only actively flowing volcano to the common sight of snow capped mountains. Where else can you ski atop Mauna Kea in the morning, surf in the afternoon and then finish the day by viewing one of our awesome sunsets from your lanai!

I love the Big Island! Aloha.

, , , , ,

9 Responses to “Big Island is Hawaii’s Most Affordable Island for Homes and Condos”

1. Katie Minkus, R(B)
    January 20, 2012 at 2:26 pm #

Aloha, Pat. It still amazes me that it’s possible to buy a house in Hawaii for under $300k in a great community like Waikoloa Village that requires only a short 10 minute drive to the beach. Lucky we live Hawaii, indeed!!

2. Sharon Brown R(S)
    January 22, 2012 at 9:24 am #

It is amazing how physical and diverse our island is. And that is what I have always loved about it. Thanks Pat for reminding that every day here is a special one!

3. Pat Strausse R(B)
    January 22, 2012 at 10:55 am #

@ Katie and @ Sharon – affordable and beautiful – this is why we are all so lucky to Live Hawaii..on the Big Island!

4. Pam Deery
    January 23, 2012 at 10:48 am #

Pat; You are on top of the Village market.. Great info.

5. Pat Strausse R(B)
    January 23, 2012 at 1:13 pm #

Thank you Pam…if you want to see how Waikoloa Village did in 2011, I’m working on a look back on home sales and condo sales..coming to a Hawaii Life blog soon!

6. jasahn Miranda
    October 6, 2012 at 4:19 pm #

It’s my dream to live there on the big island with a few dogs and my laptop. know that i know how surprisingly affordable it is, i’m striving for it

• Pat Strausse, RB
      October 7, 2012 at 6:28 pm #

Hi, that sounds like a wonderful dream..in fact I’m sitting here typing on my laptop
      with my two dogs sleeping nearby. Glad to hear that you are now looking for a
      way to make your dream of living here become a realtiy. Best wishes to you!

7. Larry
    May 22, 2014 at 8:08 pm #

Where are the beaches, and the marinas? I live two blocks from Waikiki Beach, and I never saw a decent beach in the five years that I lived in Hilo. I was so disappointed, when I came to Hawaii, and I could not find a decent beach or a marina. I know that I should have researched better, before I decided to move here from Illinois.

8. Pat Strausse
    May 27, 2014 at 8:19 am #

@Larry, sorry to hear it didn’t work out for you in Hilo, but if you are now in the Waikiki area it
    sounds like you have now found your beaches. I am originally from eastern Iowa and grew up
    on the Mississippi, where every little town has a marina on the river. On the Big Island, I think
    you would have found more of what you were seeking on the western side of the island. Kona
    and Kawaihae both have a harbor…and there are many, many beaches along the coast between
    these two towns. Hope you are enjoying living on Oahu!