Hawaii Life: Made For TV

Would you believe that a major television network might be interested in airing a documentary about Hawaii Life?  Last week, a production company from New York came to Hawaii to shoot footage of our brokers and agents in action all around the State.

Interviewing Matt Beall, R(B) on Maui

At first, the idea of being on television was novel and exciting. But, when it became a reality, it was a little more intense than we expected. Personally, I’m not particularly shy. I don’t get stage fright, and I’m not usually concerned about speaking on camera. However, the responsibility of accurately representing Hawaii, our clients, the lifestyle and the culture is something we take very seriously. So, when the cameras started rolling, I think I speak for all of us when I say that we had a newfound focus on the words that we use and the interactions that we had.

Neal Norman R(B) & Winston Welborn on camera on the Southern Star

At the end of the day, I think most people would be stoked to see a TV show that documents our business and how we do it. Unlike most reality shows, we probably don’t need to add any artificial drama (there’s plenty to go around in the real estate business).

What do you think? Would you watch “Hawaii Life: The Series”?

, ,

14 Responses to “Hawaii Life: Made For TV”

1. Beth Thoma Robinson R(B)
    December 26, 2011 at 1:01 pm #

Yes, Matt, I’d watch!

• Ilona Coffey
      December 26, 2011 at 4:06 pm #

Oh yes, I would watch and/or star in it!!

2. John Ladendecker
    December 26, 2011 at 8:46 pm #

Being land locked in the midwest I would love a show about Hawaii Life. So many sights fantastic.

3. Beverly Molfino
    December 27, 2011 at 10:10 am #

Hi Matt I think the impact would be unbelievable for HL and yes I would watch it.

4. Annie Mendoza, (RS)
    January 3, 2012 at 4:11 pm #

Matt…It really was quite an experince being filmed and realizing, “oh boy…what someone might see me do and say on film in a two second clip could be a critical impression of my Hawaii Life!”

5. Catherine Klug, R(S)
    January 3, 2012 at 4:48 pm #

Yes, Matt, I would watch it for sure… any subtitles in French?

6. Brooke Derby R(S)
    January 3, 2012 at 5:01 pm #

I would for sure watch it and I bet all my FB friends would too! I would even love a cameo!!!

7. kirsty essery
    January 11, 2012 at 12:08 am #

I’d definitely watch, found this through looking on net for a programme my husband seen advertised but can’t remember the name of. And yes of course I would volunteer my experience as a Scottish tourist. Have only visited once and it is MY personal paradise. Good luck ✿

8. H Kaiwi
    January 2, 2013 at 11:06 am #

I enjoyed watching the premier of Hawaii Life on HGTV, though was disappointed that “Lihue” was mispronounced by both real estate agents, and new residents. The “e” in Lihue should sound like the “e” in “hale” (dwelling). In the Hawaiian language, vowel sounds are easy…they never change, always sounding the same (unlike English vowel sounds).
    If Hawaii Life travels to the other islands, I hope there will be more effort to pronounce Hawaii name places correctly. For example, “Honolulu” is almost always mispronounced as “HANAlulu” by visitors and new residents, and sadly by some long time kamaaina too. Should be HONOlulu. Good luck! I plan to keep watching. Aloha!

9. Matt
    January 3, 2013 at 12:46 pm #

Thanks, H Kaiwi, for your comment. We couldn’t agree more about the pronunciation challenges… but enforcing pronunciations isn’t too easy. I met a UH professor today who was born in Lawai. He’s in his 80′s. When he asked where I lived I said “Kaua’i” (pronounced properly, ka-wa-ee). He told me that, even though he was born and raised on Kaua’i, he still says “ka-why”.
    So, your point about long time kama’aina mispronouncing Hawaiian place names is definitely relevant. The show is shot in more of a documentary style… so I’m sure they’ll pick up more of those colloquial (mis)pronunciations… ;-)

Thanks for watching!

10. Kim ortiz
    February 4, 2013 at 5:04 am #

I was so happy to find this show. I love Hawaii and want to move there so this show will give me a glimpse if it’s possible.

11. Kay
    February 10, 2013 at 8:50 pm #

My husband is retiring in November 2013 and we are relocating to either Maui or Kauai from Wisconsin. Any possibility of being guests on your show? We are big fans!

12. Brenda Lloyd
    March 2, 2013 at 3:22 pm #

Yes Matt! My husband and I would watch!

Absolutely love everything Hawaiian!!! Love seeing Hawaiian property, the streets, neighborhoods and beaches. Love the slice of Hawaiian life! My husband and I are watching “Hawaii Life” right now. Wishing we were there!!!!

13. DParsley
    May 19, 2013 at 12:00 pm #

I discovered Hawaii Life a few weeks ago. I enjoy watching clients make up their minds on which home to bid. Will there be any follow-up on those featured on the program? Mahalo!